Re: [TowerTalk] FCP vs On ground.txt

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FCP vs On ground.txt
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 15:54:06 -0800
On 1/21/2022 12:58 PM, W7TMT - Patrick wrote:
I think sometimes comments like the one that triggered this thread are not
meant as disrespecting or ignoring technology but rather just a reflection of
the realities many of us face. We put up what we can, get on the air, and work
what we can.

Yes. I've often advised hams to do the best they can and call CQ.

I've always viewed all engineering as applying science to solve individual problems, and that great engineering includes the art of compromise as the design constraints dictate. My technical writing has always been in the interest of giving hams the information on which to base these decisions.

Imperfect SYMMETRY of 4-square array has relatively little effect on forward gain, but can STRONGLY fill in nulls. In other words, as far as "loud" is concerned, more is better, especially with on-ground radials. Let's say, for example, that real estate (or buildings) prevents running radials outside its blueprint. In that situation, adding radials within the blueprint would still reduce ground losses. Not ideal, but as a recent President often said, "better is good."

73, Jim K9YC