Re: [TowerTalk] FCP vs On ground.txt

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FCP vs On ground.txt
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:41:05 -0600
No idea.  In his article, you can infer on fig 17 that 4' on a 40m antenna is about 0.06 WL.  And going from 0.5 to 4' was worth about 3/4+ of dB.  Is there a reason to think that height above ground should remain a on a flat trajectory?  From fig 16, it looks like the curve is bending and my guess is that a study would show an asymptotic point is reached.  My point is that "louder" would be relative - maybe going from 5' to 20' on 160m radials without moving the physical vertical does provide an improvement but it's not going to be massive.  From the graph it would be sub 1dB.

I eventually got rid of the elevated radials here and put the 40m 4sq in the ground.  But it had nothing to do with signal - it had to do with the maintenance needed to keep them up and I was tired of messing with them.

A vertical offers no free lunch with elevated radials.  Sure you have a big spend and a hassle getting a ground mounted system put in, but then you are relatively free of maintenance going forward.  On the other hand, hanging elevated radials is a lot easier, but the maintenance is ongoing and if you have deer, ice and whatever, its bigger.

A guy was joking with me once when I told him that a deer would only hit his beverage once and would learn the lesson.  A beverage is not an elevated radial but the maintenance is the same.  He replied, that "up here, the deer are called moose and the don't even register hitting and breaking your beverage wire."  Had to say, that was a new one one me.  No moose in KS!

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com