Re: [TowerTalk] Weather Stations that don't transmit near the 70 cm band

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weather Stations that don't transmit near the 70 cm band?
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 22:57:02 -0500
As a research meteorologist, this topic is nearvand dear. I had a Peet Bros.
station for some time and truly liked it. It has in particular a heated rain
gauge. But, critters kept chewing on wires, so I chose to replace it with a
Davis Vantage Vue. It’s been pretty good over the past 10 - 15 y. Be had to
replace the anemometer unit twice due to bearing failures. At the 10 m level on
my tower, It isn’t bothered by 1500 W on any HF band and is RF silent. The
supercapacitor on mine became leaky enough that it started eating the lithium
123 cells used to keep it going at night after the supercapacitor has been
discharged. The supercapacitor is potted and so not serviceable. I decided to
replace the lithium cell with two D cells at the base of my tower and have had
no further issues.

Colleagues like the Ambient Weather systems.

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the
music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith