Re: [TowerTalk] Weather Stations that don't transmit near the 70 cm band

To: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weather Stations that don't transmit near the 70 cm band?
From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 00:37:42 -0700
All these weather monitors (the ones in this price range, anyway) have rotating anemometer cups and rotating wind vanes (more expensive systems can use ultrasonics for these measurements) and thus have moving parts. Those parts need bearings and most are "shielded" spherical ball bearings that are continuously outside and exposed to weather conditions. "Sealed" ball bearings are available but have rubber seals that drag on the ball races and would load the cups or vanes of the weather sensors. Thus, you can expect to have lifetime issues with these bearings.

So, an issue is how easy it is to service these parts. I can speak only for Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2 systems now. Davis has an *exchange* program that ships you a replacement anemometer/wind vane sensor-set to install and then ship back the old sensors. I have done that once in about 9 years due to some light drag on the wind vane; I never had any difficulty with the anemometer bearing (yet).

Outdoor radiation shields for the temperature and humidity sensors can be static or aspirated, and fan aspirated radiation shields can be daylight only or 24-hour (with a rechargeable battery of some kind). In all cases, air currents flow through the radiation shield and bring debris that must be cleaned out occasionally. I clean mine every 18 to 24 months by complete disassembly. In my 24-hour aspirated radiation shield, an unusual dc fan is used, and it has no markings to indicate operating voltage. Overnight, it operates on about 2.4 volts from two NiCd "C" cells but it gets higher voltage during the day from a separate solar cell that powers only that aspiration fan. I replaced that fan once when I found it ran during the day but not at night when on the NiCd battery. The fan is easy to replace when the radiation shield is disassembled for cleaning and the replacement already has the required connector installed. Not cheap, however.

Wired weather monitors will have long wires that simply act as antennas in a strong local RF field. Shielding and ferrite chokes can help but local high power ham stations may still be a problem. I have not had a wired system in about 10 years and I don't now remember if there were any RFI issues with the old Davis Instruments "Weather Monitor" model system. My Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless system, which uses frequency-hopping diversity, has always performed flawlessly for me.

One advantage to using Davis Instruments weather monitors is that phone technical support (and excellent, knowledgeable support it is!) is immediately available at no cost beyond the phone call.

I won't argue against using a wired weather monitor. Each of us has to consider many factors when selecting such high-tech things! Cost is one issue but so is reliability and ease of service. The convenience of wireless comms between the display console or computer and the sensor suite is significant. And, with wireless, I can have multiple display consoles around the house.

I frankly don't know if a 900 MHz wireless spread spectrum wireless weather system will affect weak-signal reception in that same band. I am confident it would not affect any other band.

However, I would not want to put a weather monitor sensor suite up on a ham tower; I expect the tower itself and the beam antennas above would affect measurements of wind and rain. I have my Davis sensor suite about 6 feet above the peak of my house roof and in the clear, in an area that is easy to access. National Weather Service standards for location of weather sensors would have them only in clear, grassy fields; in Southern California typical residences, that is simply not possible so some trade-off is necessary.

Is all this weather monitoring really necessary? Surely not! But, it is interesting and can provide useful data. Many will say that Los Angeles does not have "weather." I agree we don't receive much rain! I might get 8 inches in moderately wet year. But rain here often comes in brief, heavy rainfalls so measuring those is interesting. I find I look often at the weather monitor solar radiation sensor and compare its daily curve shape to that of my home photovoltaic solar system; curiously, they are not always the same! Unexplained dips and peaks happen and are often inconsistent between the two systems. Makes me wonder if there are pterodactyls flying about...

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB