Re: [TowerTalk] Portable soldering iron

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Portable soldering iron
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 15:17:49 -0700
On 9/29/22 3:04 PM, n0tt1@juno.com wrote:
My 2-cents worth...hi..hi:

I've used the propane torch soldering tip attachment.  They are quite
large
for small, "tight" spaces like on a 'Jones connector.  Even worse is the
flame/heat that shoots out from the side holes that are just past the tip
of the torch.
Those can scorch the cable/wire insulation you are trying to solder.
(That propane flame has to go somewhere.)  The good thing about the
soldering
tip is that it's large enough to hold a good soldering temp after the
flame
is turned off, at least for a few connections.

Thanks to the other listers who have suggested other soldering
tools...I'll
check those out.

73,
Charlie, N0TT

it doesn't solve the problem described here (Cinch-Jones connectors), but this is one reason that circular connectors (I like the circular plastic ones, but rectangular Molex are also good) with removable pins are nice.  You can attach the pin or socket to the wire separately, whether by crimp or solder, then insert it into the housing.