Re: [TowerTalk] Sources for SS Hardware ??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sources for SS Hardware ??
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 06:36:36 -0800
On 11/11/22 3:22 AM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
More up to date info:

https://www.energy.gov/sites/default/files/2022-05/Fastener-Headmark-List-2022.pdf
https://www.standards.doe.gov/standards-documents/1200/1221-bhdbk-2016/@@images/file

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 5:12 AM Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com> wrote:
Lots of sources given for s.s. hardware but little on how to tell if
the stuff is dependable.  Before I retired, I worked for a DOE
contractor and I recall there was a lot of concern over sourcing
quality metal parts.  A lot of money can be wasted if inferior
hardware is used, or worse, serious injury in some cases.  So, there
was training.  Here's a manual they used:

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/06/f16/SCI_Training_Manual.pdf

73

Rob
K5UJ

The challenge is that "high quality" counterfeits will be marked and *look* right, so it's difficult to inspect, especially for the casual buyer of small numbers.

Ultimately, it comes down to "trust your retailer"

    One can ask for traceability to the mfr

    One can ask for a certificate of conformance

This is the kind of thing you won't get at, say, Home Depot or Lowes.  It's something you might get at a fastener supplier (like McMaster or Allen) - they'll typically provide a CoC, but mfr trace I'm not sure.

The other approach (if you're going to use a bunch) is to buy a batch, and test a couple out of the batch. You'd want to be sure that the batch is all from the same mfr & lot, in some way. Maybe they come in a sealed box with the manufacturer's name (as opposed to the retailer).

It's a real problem.