Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Anchoring

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Anchoring
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 21:51:22 -0800
On 11/17/2022 18:33, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:
I used the same type as the utility companies. They are a lot cheaper if you buy them from a utility supply house. Anyhow I put them in with the hep of a sledgehammer and a break-iron. We were two to do it. You turn the helix anchor as far as you can. then you hit it a few times with the sledgehammer and continue turning. The idea is that the screw-anchor should be set in "undisturbed soil" to get maximum strength.

I looked at those when I was buying the utility pole thimble eyes.

My concern was, despite that big elaborate screw, depending on the model, there was a few tack welds, or one relative short weld around the shaft to hold it.

Crack that, and the anchor slips out, leaving the screw in the hole, and tower on the ground.

Kurt