Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Resistor Source- Thank You!

To: RVZ <rlvz@aol.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Resistor Source- Thank You!
From: steve_VE6WZ <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 20:43:20 -0600
Hi Dick,

As others have said, also add a GDT across the Beverage feed box, between
antenna and gnd.
Adding another across the coax at the feed box is good prevention too.
This will prevent vaporizing the matching transformer.

Buy a lot of those GDTs.  Anything that is exposed to a potential lightning
surge can use one.
I buy 100 at a time.

What some may not know, is that these Gas Discharge Tubes (GDT) are exactly
what you find inside of the coax lightning arrestors like Alpha Delta and
others.

At my remote station, ANYTHING that is outside in the field, and anything that
enters the shack has a GDT on an exposed line. This includes all coax feeds and
DC control lines going to boxes in the field.
Add some at the shack entry too.

A problem with using a fuse in series is that they may not react fast enough to
protect what is down stream. A GDT is designed for this purpose. It is fast and
designed to dissipate the energy to ground to limit damage.

73, de steve ve6wz

Sent from Mail for Windows