Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Resistor Source- Thank You!

To: steve_VE6WZ <ve6wz@shaw.ca>, RVZ <rlvz@aol.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Resistor Source- Thank You!
From: Gary K9GS <k9gs@gjschwartz.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 23:22:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Resistor Source- Thank You! Hi Dick,As others
have said, also add a GDT across the Beverage feed box, between antenna and
gnd.Adding another across the coax at the feed box is good prevention too.This
will prevent vaporizing the matching transformer.Buy a lot of those GDTs.
Anything that is exposed to a potential lightning surge can use one.I buy 100
at a time.What some may not know, is that these Gas Discharge Tubes (GDT) are
exactly what you find inside of the coax lightning arrestors like Alpha Delta
and others.At my remote station, ANYTHING that is outside in the field, and
anything that enters the shack has a GDT on an exposed line. This includes all
coax feeds and DC control lines going to boxes in the field.Add some at the
shack entry too.A problem with using a fuse in series is that they may not
react fast enough to protect what is down stream. A GDT is designed for this
purpose. It is fast and designed to dissipate the energy to ground to limit
damage.73, de steve ve6wzSent from Mail for WindowsFrom: RVZ via TowerTalkSent:
April 16, 2023 8:00 PMTo: towertalk@contesting.comSubject: [TowerTalk] Beverage
Resistor Source- Thank You!A big Thank You to everyone who replied about my
Beverage Resistor question.  Many great ideas.  For starts I'm going to add a
gas discharge tube between the beverage resistor and ground.  And if that
doesn't solve the problem I'll add a 1-Amp fuse in-line.     Thanks & 73,
Dick- K9OM