Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna 6 feet above the top of an AB-577

To: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>, TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna 6 feet above the top of an AB-577
From: AB2E Darrell <ab2e@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 01:55:30 +0000
Hi Pete,
I have am identical setup.
AB-577
C3S Force 12 tribander
6M5X M2 6m yagi just above the C3S but only about 3ft above.
10 ft aluminum mast
G-1000 rotor

I originally had the 6m yagi mounted about 8ft up.
As it turned out, we had to lower the tower for a minor rotor problem.
While doing that it was decided the load of placing the 6m near the top (around
7-8ft above the C3S) was too high.
A local ham did the calculation and the difference was frightening.

We put the 6m yagi only 3ft above the C3S, absolutely no ill effects.
Low SWR on the 6m yagi, and low normal SWRs on the C3S (all favoring CW, but
typically under about 1.6:1 upper band edges 15 and 20.

You probably wouldn't have any trouble with the 6m higher up but why risk it?
I don't think 3 or 4 ft higher will give you much extra performance.

I put the AB-577 up last Oct. It's made it through the winter, only a couple
big storms, but one storm had 60mph winds and the yagis didn't even flex a bit
in the wind. Something to be said for trapless design!

73 and all the best,
Darrell AB2E