VP2E/KI4HN CW Sprint

Jim Stevens ki4hn at nando.net
Wed Feb 21 23:57:39 EST 1996

Sorry for the lateness of my score, but I just got back to NC last night.

Band     QSOs       Mults
 20           2               2
 40         69              28
 Totals    71              30    =   2,130

Equipment: ICOM IC-736 (100W), 203BA at 60 feet, 40M Inv V apex at 35 feet.

Team: Watt Me Worry #2

I could only hear a few stations on 20M by 0Z, and only 2 could hear me: K4VX and AA5WQ.
Only K4VX and N6TV (sorry Bob, I called you several times but you didn't hear me) moved
the meter on 20M.

Loud on 40M were K5GA, KP4XS, K4VX, WB0O, KR0Y, K4PQL.

Didn't work (or even hear) N6TR.  Worked WN4KKN before the test on 20M, but didn't hear
Trey during the test.

Worked K7SS/KH6 and CT1BOH on 40.

My wife and I arrived on VP2E on Friday night, so here was my day on Saturday to get set-up
for Sprint.

203BA was only antenna up, but after listening in on SSB Sprint, I decided that I better get
something up for 40 if I was going make any Qs.

1. Unpack gear and set-up shack.  Move rotor control box from pool house down to
    apartment shack.

2. Fix guy wire on tower.

3. Take a dip in the pool to cool off.

4. Unravel a bunch of junk coax jumpers of various lengths from junk room.  Put these
    together with barrel connectors to get enough to run from tower to apartment
    (a minimum of 300 feet).  Don't even want to think about how much loss I'm probably
    gonna have.

5. Go up tower and put up 40M Inv V.  It is now late in the day, and the wind has built, so
    I wimp out and don't go to the top of the tower with the antenna.

6. Shower

7. Go with my wife to Uncle Ernie's to eat BBQ ribs & chicken and drink a few 807s.  If
    you're ever on VP2E don't miss Uncle Ernie's.  It's on the beach at Shoal Bay (considered
    one of the top 10 beaches in the Caribbean), and the BBQ is unbelievable, and the 807s
    are cheap.

8. Head back and relax for a bit.

9. Do It!

73, Jim KI4HN