[3830] WL7KY SOAB HP CQP

Chris Hurlbut wl7ky at gci.net
Fri Oct 4 02:43:44 EDT 1996

VAA28895
Sender: owner-3830 at contesting.com

                    California QSO Party Summary Sheet

    Contest Date : 10/02/99

   Callsign Used : WL7KY
        Operator : WL7KY

        Category : SOAB HP
Default Exchange : # AK

            Name : Christopher Hurlbut
         Address : 2003 Roosevelt Dr.
  City/State/Zip : Anchorage, AK 99517
         Country : United States

       Club/Team :

                    QSOs             Points
    Band      CW/SSB    Total   CW/SSB    Total    Mults

     10        23/33     56      69/66     135       7
     15        43/40     83     129/80     209      31
     20        47/89     136    141/178    319      20
     40        39/50     89     117/100    217      --
     80         2/--     2        6/--       6      --
    160        --/--     --      --/--      --      --
     6m        --/--     --      --/--      --      --
     2m        --/--     --      --/--      --      --
   Totals     157/209    366    471/418    889      58

Final Score =  51,562
Operating Time =  12:33 (off times shown in log)

Rig : TS-570DG, Heathkit Warrior
Antennas : TH7 at 50 feet, 3 elem 40, 80m dipole

Soapbox :

Was it me, or was participation way down from the CA boys?  As I remember,
last year condx were a lot worse, I operated a lot more casual, and for
less time.  Yet I had almost 200 more q's.  I missed 2 counties last year
(Lassen and Colusa) and got those fairly early this year which was nice.  I
felt loud on all bands, but CA was either pointed at EU, East Coast, or JA.
 The only time I could really work anyone was when they were working JA's.
So I had to yell and scream "ALASKA ALASKA" then I would get, "Oh wow,
Alaska, hang on, let me turn the beam"  then they would be loud instead of
s2.
If that wasn't frustrating enough, I think I CQ'd most of the time getting
1 station every 10 minutes.  That gets real boring.  So I took a lot of
breaks.  I was mostly going for the sweep, since breaking my old AK record
didn't seem plausible.  69 q's in the first 3 hours is not exactly
blistering rate.  After the first day I was missing Glenn and Sierra
counties.  I FINALLY got SF thanks to AJ6T/M.  I was his nr 20.  So I
didn't feel too bad :)
The second day I was concentrating on getting rate on 10m ssb.  Those tech
pluses HAD to be on.  Not so.  10m was packed, but I had worked everyone.
So after a 10 min cq with only 2 stations in the log, I S'd and P'd again.
After what seemed like an eternity, I heard KM6RH cqing.  BANG! New county.
 If that wasn't good enough, I heard K6PJ/M cqing.  BANG!  Last county!  By
that time I was about to fall out of the chair, and I felt I had gone as
far as I could in the 1999 CQP.
After checking every band/mode for new stations, I hung it up.
No wine, er.... sparkling apple cider for us under 21... for me this year.
Oh well, the shirt should be nice.
I would like to thank the propagation gods for bringing back 10m, it has
not quit for the past 2 weeks.
Now if it would just open to EU........
CU in the next one
-Chris WL7KY
wl7ky at gci.net

I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations
established for amateur radio in my country.  My report is
correct and true to the best of my knowledge.  I agree to be
bound by the decisions of the  Awards Committee.