W7GG HAL RTTY CLAIMED + STORY

Bob Wruble ai7b at teleport.com
Wed Feb 12 22:14:14 EST 1997

     W7GG 1997 HAL WPX CONTEST  High Claimed Score

Location:  Oregon
Entry Class: SO/AB/HP

Band    QSOs   Pts  Mults  Antennas
80       101   240    -    One leg of 4el Vert Dipole array.
40       135   318    -    Cush 2el yagi at 115'
20       430   815    -    Triple stack KT-34XA's & TB6 tribander
15       109   130    -      "      "     "          "
10            3     3    -      "      "     "          "
-----   ----  ----  ----
Total    778  1506   312

Most frequently worked prefix: K0 - 20 QSO's

Score: 469,872
--------------------------------------

NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS:

**20M to EU very good Sunday AM....pleasant surprise!
**40M stack went down 1st hour on 40!  Bad connector.
**No EU DX on 40 or 80 from Oregon.
**15M good for 100 Q's but little DX.
**10M produced 3 Q's...they were loud SE stns but no
  other activity.
**Doubled last years score but no fun listening to East
  coast stns wking the likes of 4U1ITU on 80!
**Wished KP2CD/3 would have used a better suffix...WZ3!

PEEVES:

**Stns that answer my CQ and give exchange B4 I even
  acknowledge they have contact.....this behavior clutters
  up the Freq. and screws up rhythm.  They insisted on
  doing this every Q on each band!  The appeared to be using
  WF1B SW but gess they don't know how to use it properly!

**Stns that send my call 2-4 times and then their call 3
  2-4 times then 599 3 times and then the NR ONCE!!
  Dumb...think abt it.....I use a minmal exchange and add
  my call or his call or my NR extra times via F key Msg's
  as the situation demands.  Minimal to me is:
  W1*** DE W7GG (F4) or (F2) W1*** 599 NR *** *** W7GG.
  Gess many RTTY'ers new too contesting and the concept
  that SAVING TIME = MORE QSO'S !

**Stns that come on the Freq. and ask wat state I'm in w/o
  evening signing their call!  What arrogance!!  Then I give
  it to them and they disappear.  These must be the same
  stn's that send QSL's begging for help with THEIR awards
  but no SASE etc!!  What AH's.

**Stns that come on asking what happened to their QSL from
  the ARRL RTTY test in Jan 97....What do they think I am
  Superman?  Again, probably the same idiots that expect me
  to pay the freight on their AWARDS pursuit??  By the way
  ALL QSL's rcvd with SASE or rtn postage for the 97 rdup
  have been processed.  Again what arrogance in a contest
  environment!

**Had one 9 area stn come on and run FULL 3 line commercial
  abt his QTH, Name and a bunch of BS about how great the
  Green Packers are.  (No argument abt the Packers!) and
  then send no contest exhange until I asked for it!
  THEN get this I get the whole 3 line commercial before
  the exchange comes.  Must have been a Cheese Head on
  the sauce?? What the hell was that all about....this
  is a CONTEST not a rag chew fest......some of these ops
  need to get clue about what contesting is about!!  How
  could they ever operate a SPRINT?

**To many stns resending my NR back to me....I don't need
  I don't need it.  If I need a fill I will ASK for it.

**Many W stn's unable to zero beat well enuf to be copied
  w/o using the RIT.

INSPITE OF THE ABOVE XOMMENTS, THANKS TO ALL THAT
TOOK THE TIME TO GIVE ME A Q.  Without you there wud be
no score!!

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com