WB0O ARRL DX CW

Bill Straw 0007359114 at mcimail.com
Sun Feb 16 19:17:00 EST 1997

WB0O ARRL DX CW  SO/AB/HP

B       Q       M
------------------
160     18     15    INV-L
 80    100     48    ELEVATED 4-SQUARE
 40    116     53    ELEVATED 4-SQUARE
 20    345     65
 15     60     30    TH7 at 50',Force 12 DXer @ 50'
 10      4      4    (QTH IS ON A 400' HILL)
------------------
       643    215 = 414,735

COMMENTS:

  No matter where you live, you had better condx than
here in ND. Aurora for 6 nights in a row really hurt.
For hours at a time there was nobody to work, no EU
or JA, and a bunch of dupe LU/6Y/P4/KP on 15 or 20.
Sort of like the Uzbekistan Howdy Days 10M Roundup.

160M: An amazing band. Even with aurora, I got a few
      EU. It was like my own personal opening, EU
      calling CQ with NO takers!
80M:  Each Q was a struggle. Weak, watery signals that
      faded to nothing by 0500Z each night. Minimal
      JA openings.
40M:  Spent the whole weekend getting CQ'd in my face.
20M:  At 1700Z on Saturday I had a total of 30 20M Q's.
      I sat and listened to K3LR running EU and couldn't
      hear a peep out of 99% of the stations he was
      running.
15M:  A few token EU's and JA's
10M:  A micro opening to P40W, PJ9C.

  The worst part is that the bands will undoubtedly
bounce back by Tuesday, and so another CW DX contest
has gone down the drain! I have 80 acres of hay field
right next to the house, and contests like this remind
me why I SHOULDN'T waste money on bigger antennas.

73 BILL WB0O in North Dakota

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com