NI8L CQ 160M CW SOHP

Scott Detloff ni8l at imperium.net
Mon Jan 27 15:12:29 EST 1997

                  CQ 160 METER CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: NI8L                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                    Category: Single Operator

               QSO   QSO PTS  STATES COUNTRIES

     Totals    710    2189      54      38    =   201,388	  16HRS

Antennas:  TX  1/4 sloping vertical from 150' fed at 30'  with four radials @20'
                  RX  E/W dipole @ 10' 1/4 one leg, 3/4 on the other leg
                  RX  NW/SE dipole @ 15' 1/4 one leg, 3/4 on the other leg

Really had not planned on doing this contest.  My wife and I were supposed
to visit her parents in Michigan, so the best I could hope for was maybe
operating the first hour before we left.  All antennas were installed just
before the contest so they would be ready for CQ 160 SSB when my #1 tower
helper, K8LN is planning on operating.  One of the RX antennas was already
up, but the second went up an hour before the contest.  Not having time or
proper materials to properly construct a beverage, I used W9XR's idea on RX
antennas.  It took only a half hour to install.  I measured out the wire,
tied one end to a brick and proceded to throw it over low tree branches
until both ends were tight.

Not having much experience on operating 160M this contest season, the band
seemed very noisy.  Only the loudest of the loud could be heard on the
vertical, and it was tough going even on the low dipoles.  The dipoles
however did make a big difference and are very directional off of the ends,
but they still don't hear like a beverage.  Friday night was very
frustrating listening to the East Coast work Europeans I could'nt hear.

Figured  I'd had enough of the noise and static crashes and went to bed at
0900Z.  Decided to get some sleep and change modes from "serious" to
"participant".  Got back up about 1200Z to try for a JA.  Tuned the JA
window and heard four, worked four.  It was the high-point of the contest!
Went QRT at 1330 with only 521 Q's.   Way down from what I thought would be
competitive.  Operated for 15-20 minutes at a whack a couple of times
Saturday afternoon, and the band seemed much quiter.  Went to bed and set
the alarm clock to be up for European sunrise.  First Q was LY3BG at 0553Z,
and the band sounded much better than the night before.
The 06Z hour was only a 36 hour but 12 Eurpoeans.  The 07Z hour was a 42
hour with 23 Europeans and a KH6. I went QRT at 0810 having worked 4 more
G's in 10 minutes.  Sleeped through sunrise and tuned the band at 1530 to
pick up a handful of last minute new ones.

Wish conditions would have been beter Friday nite, might have decided to
stay serious.  Can't wait for next year.  Gotta get some better RX antennas.
Just something about running those Europeans...

73,
Scott

Scott Detloff  NI8L
12198 Georgetown Rd. NE