[3830] N5TJ SSCW QRP

Jeff Steinman n5tj at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 09:52:14 EST 1997

QRP? Yes, I was QRP! After doing low power the last two years from home
I decided it was time to try something new. I have 2 amps but the
interstation interference when QRO is horrible, not to mention potential
RFI challenges. So QRP it was.

Over the last month I have been operating with 5 watts to get a feel for
things - amazing what you can work! Going into SS I wasn't sure how well
I could hold a run frequency, or work anyone on 80. Otherwise I didn't
plan on operating any differently - CQ on one radio and tune the second.
My goal going in was to make 900 QSOs - enough to break the existing QRP
record.

The results:
1071 x 79 = 169,218 (Jay, VY1JA: Thanks for getting back on)

Wow, what a surprise! I "held" a run frequency relatively well - either
high in the band amongst the digital modes, or in the Extra band. And 80
was a big surprise - almost 160 QSOs, including answers to my CQs!
According to TRLOG (BTW, the best SS software by FAR!! IMHO) I made over
500 band changes and about 280 second radio QSOs. Some things never
change...

73,
Jeff  N5TJ