[3830] K5OY SS CW SO/LP Unassisted

Steve Gibbs tv4029weather at khbs-khog.com
Mon Nov 3 21:47:46 EST 1997

1997 ARRL NOVEMBER SWEEPSTAKES

     Call used: K5OY                                           Location: AR

     Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: CW              Power: 100W

     Callsign of Operator: K5OY

     Exchanged Information: nr A K5OY 92 AR

     Hours of Operation: 22:26

     band      QSOs     points
     _________________________
     160          0          0
      80        133        266
      40        273        546
      20        260        520
      15         90        180
      10         19         38
     _________________________
     TOTAL      775       1550   X   77 multipliers  =  119,350

     Comments:
               It was an interesting dichotomy to have achieved, by far,

               my best score, yet to have felt so uncomfortable during
               the process.  The paddle, the radio and the keyboard
               fought me throughout the weekend, leaving me a
               physical and emotional taped and torn punching bag.
               My total represents a 45% improvement over
               last year's effort.  I can attribute this only to
               persistence as opposed to skill.  Choices in when to
               S&P, when to call CQ, when to change bands and when to
               take breaks were made, not according to my meticulously
               thought out plans, but in sudden rushes of
               impetuosity.  The end result is, for me, a very good score,
               but I feel as though I can do a lot better.
               A few notes...The noise level was very high at my shack.
               It made for impossible conditions when trying to pull out
               weak signals on 20m.  My sincere apologies to those QSOs
               I busted.
               Also, after such an emotional weekend, I've decided to
               engender my antenna and give her a name.  The G5RV will,
               from this day forward, be known as Agnes, after Agnes
               Moorehead, star of stage and screen.  It was her
               characterization of Samantha's mother in "Bewitched"
               that prompted me to do so.  "Mother" could be a nuisance,
               a pain, a real trouble maker.  But in the end, she always
               got things done and left everyone with smiles on
               their faces.  A monobander at 90' is June Cleaver.  My
               G5RV at 20' is definitely Agnes.  73

     I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations for
     amateur radio  in my country.  My report  is correct and true to the
     best of my knowledge.  I agree  to be bound by  the decisions of the
     ARRL Awards Committee.

     Name: STEVE GIBBS                     Call: K5OY
           22 ABERDEEN CT
           FT SMITH

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com