[3830] N5LT '97 SSB SS

Russ - N5LT russ at inetport.com
Thu Nov 20 11:17:56 EST 1997

Callsign: N5LT
Operator: N5LT

Station Used: N3BB
Category: SOHP

   80SSB      49            49            98       2
   40SSB     802         801       1602       8
   20SSB     736         735       1470      21
   15SSB     414         414          828     48

 Totals     2001        1999       3998      79

   Final Score = 315842 points.

This has really become the contest that I wait for all year.

This was my third time out in SSB SS and was a bit of an improvement over
my last 2 entries (AA5RB in '95 and N5KA in '96.  Also the third call
I've used!  All from N3BB).  Still in the high 1900's though as I just
missed the 2000 qso "after dupe" mark.

I have been very busy at work and didn't have any time to think about
this contest .  I was out of town 3 days the week of the contest and I
first started giving it some thought as I was returning home about 9:30pm
Friday night.

I'm pretty much a seat of the pants operator but it would have been nice
to look at last years log (which I did about 2000z Saturday).  Last year
I got off to a slow start with a 120 first hour.  I knew this year I
needed to be in the 150+ range so I wouldn't get left in the dust.

Last year I tried to stake out a frequency early, but it didn't seem to
pay dividends, so this year I just found a clear spot at 2100z and
started off.  I had a decent first hour at 161.  The rate dropped
substantially in the next hours, but my first 7 hours were over the 100
mark so I was pleased with that.  I started on 15m and left for 20m at
2203z, perhaps I should have hung around a bit longer, but it seemed the
thing to do at the time.

The conditions on 20m were very rough.  Lot's of stations and I just
couldn't seem to get much going.  I was ready to go to 40m and started on
that band at 0100z.  The station (N3BB) really plays on 40m.  There is a
3 el yagi at 120' and a new 2 el Cushcraft at about 60'.  I felt loud on
this band.  I tee connected the 2 yagi's together to give me East/West
coverage, but I seemed to lose my ability to control the frequency.  I
ended up putting them back on their own after about 30 minutes.  Maybe it
was mental, but I felt things went my way again.  My 40m number ended up
being pretty good.

Last year I felt I operated too deep into the morning, but this year I
was there again operating until 0900z before my first break.  About 15
minutes longer than last year.  I was getting ready to take a break and
decided to give 40m a few more minutes when VY1JA called in at 0846z.
Thanks Ken and J.  (In addition to my  Q with VY1JA, VE8EV called me on
Sunday.  Thanks!)

I listened on 10m only briefly and never deemed it worthy to switch over.

The on again - off again RF problems with the "left" station were on
again so my 2 radio flexibility was limited.  The low bands worked, but
10-20 were no go.  I desperately wanted 2 radios, so Jim and I rewired
the station before the contest taking 20m out of the Top Ten boxes and
running it through some 2 position switches to allow me 20-80 on 1 radio
and 10/15/40/80 on the other.  That was not really a problem, just a few
more switches to throw to change bands.

The only problem that was a pain was that I couldn't get the DVP working
with my 2 radio box.  The DVP was working, I just couldn't get the
interface right.  I normally go through a mental block trying to hook it
up, but I always figure it out.  (This is a problem when you only operate
5 times a year!)  This time I had it working on one radio, but then no
audio on radio 2 - not even the mic.  I just bagged it and decided to
play w/o it.  I had a few hours of really intense 2 radio dueling cq's
and that was a challenge.  I could get about 24-30 cq's out per minute
(assuming no response) and I did this for a 2 hour stint on Sunday and
then maybe another hour to 1 1/2 hours later.  That comes out to about
1440 - 1800 cq's per hour.  Of course I had exchanges and qrz's and
stuff, but you get the picture.  It becomes second nature after a bit,
but copying an exchange while rapidly cq'ing on another band is a
challenge.  Lot of fun though.  Needless to say I had alot of people
around the office Monday morning asking me what I did over the weekend as
my voice was quite hoarse.

My rate using this method was roughly 20% better using this method.  As I
have mentioned before this is a tradeoff.  It can wear you down,
especially w/o a DVP.  It seemed to payoff for me.  A few q's can make a
big difference in this contest.  The loss of that 20 % over the 3 1/2
intense hours would have dropped me at least 2 places in the standings.

Once again lots of fun.  I look forward to this contest, but at times I
almost seem to dread it because I want to do well.  This is the only
contest that affects me this way.  This year I took a pretty laid back
attitude into it.  Maybe because I didn't have alot of time to think
about it, maybe because I knew some things weren't working exactly right
at the station.  Once I got into it the adrenaline started to flow, but
perhaps this mind set helped.

Congrats to all and best of luck in the remaining contests in '97!

**** Rate Report ****

 HOUR   80SSB   40SSB   20SSB   15SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   21       0       0       0     161     161     161
   22       0       0     117       8     125     286
   23       0       0     116       1     117     403

    0       0       2     113       0     115     518
    1       0     114       0       0     114     632
    2       0     104       0       0     104     736
    3       1     116       0       0     117     853
    4       2      85       0       0      87     940
    5       5      66       0       0      71    1011
    6      22      30       0       0      52    1063
    7      12      50       0       0      62    1125
    8       5      56       0       0      61    1186
    9       0       0       0       0       0    1186
   10       0       0       0       0       0    1186
   11       0       0       0       0       0    1186
   12       0       0       0       0       0    1186
   13       0       0       1       0       1    1187
   14       0      33      20       0      53    1240
   15       0       0      32      41      73    1313
   16       0       0      51      29      80    1393
   17       0       0      23      48      71    1464
   18       0       0      56      19      75    1539
   19       0       0      37      37      74    1613
   20       0       0      38      24      62    1675
   21       0       0      12      46      58    1733
   22       0       0      41       0      41    1774
   23       0      28      39       0      67    1841

    0       0      31      36       0      67    1908
    1       0      26       3       0      29    1937
    2       2      60       0       0      62    1999

  TOTAL    49     801     735     414

**** QSO Breakdown ****

   1.           IL  116
   2.           OH  112