[3830] 1997 CQP by KE9I

Gerard Jendraszkiewicz jend at midway.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 7 08:06:30 EDT 1997

Well here is the score for this years effort !

            160        80        40        20        15        10

CW     0            15        52        71         91        2
SSB    0              9         23        173      204       0

TOTALS: CW Q's     231
                 SSB Q's    409
===================
                                   640

Total Score: 1511 * 56 = 84,616

Equipment: Yaesu FT-990, AL-80A (600-700W out)
ANT: 10/15/20 Cushcraft A3 @ 25 Feet
ANT: 40/80/160 66 Ft. vertical
Beverage: 700 Ft. W/SW

Comments: Missed Yuba and Tehama counties, last year missed San Benito.
This year worked about 8 of them !! Hope this does not set a trend !
Nice to hear so much activity on 15M, and even a couple of Q's on 10 CW.

I put up the beverage out over the tops of  the corn (where its still
at) early Saturday morning hoping for the best. Well it worked very
well, almost too good, I heard stations that could not hear me ! Used it
on 40/80. Nothing heard on 160 although, QRN was over S-9 even on the
beverage.

Lost a couple of hours of operating on Saturday afternoon, as a
thunderstorm (in Indiana, in October !) came across the QTH. Did not
hear the thunder, it was a puny storm, even by our standards, but was
alerted to the storm by the arcing of the 160 dipole that was plugged
into the antenna switch. A distinctive tic-tic at about a 1 Hz rate.
Took a second to figure out where the noise was comming from ! Pulled
out the plugs and went and read last years results ! Came back on and
had a blast !

Next years plan is to have the tower up and have a little better setup.
Maybe make some additinal Q's. The tri-bander at 25 ft. is just
temporary (I hope). This is the second year at the new QTH and still
getting things going as time permits ! Hope the effort is good enough
for the wine. Only time will tell. Thanks for all the contacts and see
ya all next year.

73, Jerry, KE9I

Final Note: Congrats to Gary, VX7SZ who broke the out of CA record set
by N0BSH several years ago. He really did a bang up job !

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com