[3830] J6DX M/M CQWW CW

Scott A. Lehman N9AG scottal at erinet.com
Wed Dec 9 03:31:39 EST 1998

                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: J6DX                     Country:  St. Lucia
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Multi

      160      651     1380     2.12     17      56   Inv. L
       80     1418     3456     2.44     26      85   Vertical
       40     2543     6465     2.54     31     107   2 ele vertical
       20     3107     8130     2.62     37     123   3 ele at 8M
       15     3922    10404     2.65     37     139   3 ele at 6M
       10     3233     8255     2.55     33     123   3 ele at 7M
     Totals  14874    38090     2.56    181     633  =>  31,005,260

Operator List: AC0S, K8NOZ, K9JE, K9LU, K9MMS, KI6T, N2GA, N6JRL, N8BJQ,
               N8NR, N8SM, N9AG, S50R, W8ILC, W8OK, W8QID, W0CG

Equipment Description:
          160M: TS830S/Clipperton L
           80M: TS830S/Clipperton QRO
           40M: FT1000D/SB220
           20M: TS830S/SB221
           15M: IC765/MLA2500
           10M: JST245/MLA2500

    Too many rig failures.  The 80M station went bad at the start,
    required relay cleaning.  The packet link to our listening station
    blew up.  The receivers at the listening site were in a constant
    state of overload and contributed very little.  The MLA2500 on the
    ten meter station died early Saturday and we were barefoot there
    for most of the contest. The SB221 gave up a filament transformer
    on Sunday afternoon with great fireworks and we ran barefoot there
    for a long time. All the rig failures except the SB221's failure
    were eventually solved by super-engineer N8NR.  He keeps the
    antiques running. The computer link among the 160, 80, 40 and 20
    meter stations was RFI'd to death.  Everytime 40 meters transmitted
    the 10 meter station called CQ.  That was fixed by removing all the
    programming from the keyer and hand keying 3200+ QSOs.

    Working the W's and the JA's is great fun.  The general competency
    of the European operators has hit a new low.  Isn't there something
    that can be done with peer pressure to prevent the constant, and
    sometimes blind, calling?

    Biggest surprise: Finally worked all 40 zones in one contest.
    Thanks to 6A1DU, whomever he may be!  (If he be?)

    Man we had a tremendous time!  When can we do it again?

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com