[3830] K9JF Comments about CW Sprint

Jim Fenstermaker, K9JF jfenster at pacifier.com
Sun Feb 8 16:35:09 EST 1998

Another interesting and challenging Sprint (but aren' they all)!!!

For each of these things, I have to completely reconfigure the stations.
This is the bad points of having three complete rigs.  Unfortunately, I
usually don't get to start until Saturday afternoon then things get
panicky.  Yesterday, things were going well at 22Z.  At that time, I
decided to load and use TR for the first time.  All other Sprints (for the
past 18 years) have been with pencil and paper.  At 23Z things were looking
good...then, TR quit working (operator error).  My local software guru,
K7AR came by at 2330Z and got it working for me again.  At 2350, I found
that I could not get the interface between the computers and rigs working
so I would be using the keyers again (sorry to all for the lousy CW).
Then, I couldn't find the book to instruct me how to load the sequential
numbering in the AEA machine.  At 2359, I was ready but it was a kludgy
set-up.  When I QSYed from 20 to 40, I noted that stations worked on 20
already had the name and section on the exchange line.  But, how to get the
cursor in the front of the string so I could input the serial #.  I had to
resort to the backspace key, one character at a time.  Still don't know how
to do it!!!

The results:

Station: 		K9JF
Section:		WA
Name:			Jim

QSO's			257
Mults			42 + 1 = 43
Points			11,051

			Missed: KL7, DE, KS, LA, ME, NE, RI, DS, VT, VE1,2,3,4,5,8

QSO's per Band:
20 Meters	100
40 Meters	100
80 Meters	 57

CU in the next one with a more organized set-up.  Let's have these 4 times
a year.  I really enjoy the challenge!

73 Jim K9JF
Vancouver, WA

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com