[3830] KK7GW NAQP score, comments

David Jones kk7gw at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 14:13:34 EST 1998

1998 NAQP CW
KK7GW Single Operator

Band       Raw QSO's   Valid QSO's     Points     Mults

160           3		    3	          3          2
80	     18  	   18            18         11
40	    105	          103           103         38
20	     12	           12            12    	     8
15	      0		    0	          0	     0
10	      0		    0	          0	     0
Total	    138 	  136           136         59===>8,024

Team: Rush Drake Orchestra North

Power: 100 watts

Equipment: Kenwood TS-530, 40m dipole @ 20' (after my new 20m dipole at
45' had a problem, and since I didn't have time to fix it I was down to
just the one antenna)

QTH: 10 miles east of Seattle, Washington

Comments:

Well, my score isn't much but WOW, what a FUN contest!  After finding
out that my youth orchestra's retreat was on the same day as this, I
just planned to make the best of it, maybe get 3 or 4 hours in. Instead,
I got a good 6.5 hours in, and set new personal
contesting records to boot!

My inexperience running really showed in this contest.  My "most
embarrassing moment" was getting a call from an S9 N5KO at about 40-45
wpm, and being so flustered I barely copied any of the call.  I learned
a lot of operating tips, and now I can run sort of well
(not that my signal is that great though). This is the first contest
that my rates have been high enough to justify looking at the TR rate
sheet, and distribution sheet.

Got back and started at 2330z, and found 20 starting to die. Worked 12
stations in half an hour, then switched to 40 right at 0000.  40 was a
madhouse, with signals from 7020 clear to 7055 or 7060 with no space to
run unless you go WAY high in the band.  Just S&P'ing my way up and down
40 gave me my new personal best 34/hr rate (which doesn't compare to
most of you, but it's great for me).

I spent 3 hours working 40, getting a few Q's here and there running,
and then checked 80 at 0300.  Considering that my station doesn't do
well on 80 and 160, I was amazed at the 21 Q's I got on those 2 bands.
80 gave me several new states towards 5BWAS, and 160 was itself, which
means work the really loud stations in WA and OR.

I actually got a run going on 40 late in the contest, and I'm starting
to feel confident in running.  See you all in the Phone 'test.

73

David Jones, KK7GW   QRP-L #1350
kk7gw at hotmail.com