[3830] January VHF SS W9SZ QRP portable

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Mon Jan 19 13:02:11 EST 1998

                   ARRL VHF SWEEPSTAKES -- 1998

                                      Section: Illinois

       Call: W9SZ                     Country: USA

       Grid: EN50                     Category: QRP portable

       BAND     QSO    QSO PTS      GRIDS

       144       10       10           8

       432        3        6           3

       1.2        0        0           0

       2.3        0        0           0

       3.4        0        0           0

       -----------------------------------

      Totals     13        16         11  =  176

 Equipment Description: Homebrew transverters 144, 432, 1296 Approx. 5 watts
 each band

 Homebrew transverters 2304, 3456 Approx. 100 mW each band

 HTX-100 IF rig

 12-el Yagi 144 MHz; 15-el Yagi 432 MHz; 24-el loop yagi 1296 MHz; 2 ft.
 dia. dish for 2304 and 3456 MHz

I must be crazy to take all this equipment and stuff it in my car to
drive to the nearest hilltop and set it up in the cold and the dark for
about 4 hours of operating time!  It was fun anyway.  The bands weren't
so great between 9pm and 1 am Saturday night though. All bands sounded
dead after 1 am Sunday, so I packed up and left just before the freezing
drizzle hit.

I had equipment for some microwave bands, hoping a rover would stop nearby
and we could work.  Alas, it didn't happen. Tried one 1296 QSO (about
120-mile path) and I could hear him but he couldn't hear me.  Maybe next
time!

73, Zack W9SZ

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com