[3830] N2CU SS CW SO/HP WNY

Thomas R. Williams n2cu at buffnet.net
Mon Nov 9 21:32:29 EST 1998

                            SWEEPSTAKES SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 07-Nov-98, 08-Nov-98, 09-Nov-98

    Callsign Used : N2CU
         Operator : N2CU

         Category : SO, HP, WNY

 Default Exchange : # B N2CU 72 WNY

             Name : Thomas R. Williams
          Address : 5330 Keller Road
   City/State/Zip : Hamburg, NY 14075-7051
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : WNYDXA

 ________________________________________________ TS-820S, SB-201, TRLog

   80CW      392         392        784      14   Dipole @ 40'/ GAP Challenger
   40CW      343         343        686      11   Dipole @ 40'/       "
   20CW      256         255        510      36   TH6DXX @ 50'/       "
   15CW      118         118        236       8        "      /       "
   10CW       21          21         42       9        "      /       "

 Totals     1130        1129       2258      78

    Final Score = 176,124 points.  Operating Time = 24 hrs.

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

 A PERSONAL BEST! My second SS since returning to the air Sept. '97 after
 a 15 year absence. Nice to see that my antenna projects played out well.
 Everything was set to go at the start of the contest. Then, a short time into
 it my amplifier started keying intermittently. Had to take a break early on
 to find carbonized relay contacts in the ol' TS-820. Cleaned them off and got
 back on. Shortly thereafter discovered another keying problem causing the rig
 to not transmit at all. Exercising the relay by keying the PTT line cured it
 whenever it happened. Lived with it (barely) until my first long break.

 The solar activity really messed up my band plan. Was going to spend much more
 time on 40m, as it was my money band last year with over 600 Q's. This year
 80m was the place to be, even though signals were watery the first evening.
 Wanted to be on 15m and 10m more but aside from an initial 70 hour on 15m,
 they were a bust.

 I hate missing N/L for a sweep two years in a row!

 I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations established
 for amateur radio in my country.  My report is correct and true to the best
 of my knowledge.  I agree to be bound by the decisions of the Awards Committee.