[3830] N6BZA SOHP CQP (Long)

Dan Levin djl at andlev.com
Sun Oct 4 18:50:54 EDT 1998

Call used:    N6BZA

Logged with: WriteLog v9

IC-740 + H/B Linear
80/ 40           Inv. V at 30' (barefoot)
20/15/10      TET HB-43SP (4 el. tri-bander) at 35'

Phone Only

160            0
80              64
40              30
20              335
15              472
10              101
-------------------------
                   1002 x 2 =

2004         QSO points x
     58        Multipliers
----------------------
1,162,320 Points

Last mult. found, N7TR in Nevada.

Great contest.  Having been off the air for ~20 years, getting back into the
game was quite a shock.  So much has changed.  Computer logging for
example - no more dupe sheets, no more paper lists of multipliers.  I think
I worked less than 5 dupes the whole contest.  GI0AIJ called in sounding
like he was in TX.  I guess 4 stacked 6 els. with the top at ~200' will do
that - no one that I knew had that much aluminum up 20 years ago.

However, it was very frustrating too.

First of all, I had the tri-bander propped up just over the roof, with no
rotator.  Fixed at 80 degrees or so.  Imagine the frustration of an olde
contest jockey trying to get active again - I could hear the EU's and JA's
calling, but couldn't copy most of them and couldn't rotate the beam.  I
think I worked a total of under 30 non-US stations.  Best treats - 9J2AM
calling in, and VY1A slogging it out to give me a Q on 80.

Then add the fact that the amp was messing with my newfangled audio
connection to my computer, so I had to run barefoot on 40 and 80 - and the
that the so called Inverted V peaked at 30'

Finally, my mother-in-law was here, so I could only operate 14 hours.

The end result was a good time, but a very frustrating one.  I am sure that
I missed a good JA run on Saturday night and a good EU run on Sunday
morning - just couldn't turn the beam to work them.  Ah well, the new tower
is in the driveway, hopefully I will have it up in time for the DX contests.

            ***dan
            Dan Levin, N6BZA

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com