[3830] W7VJ S/O AB HP UnAssisted 20hours

Andrew Isar aisar at harbor-group.com
Mon Oct 26 17:40:17 EST 1998

CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: W7VJ                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator

      160       11       19     1.73      6       5
       80       21       43     2.05      7      13
       40      122      339     2.78     17      43
       20      285      744     2.61     25      80
       15      505     1345     2.66     25      70
       10      206      566     2.75     23      48

     Totals   1150     3056     2.66    103     259  =>  1,106,272

20 Hours.

Club Affiliation: Western Washington DX Club

Observations:

It helps to have a good attitude when you start a contest.  I wasn't sure
whether I wanted to put in a serious effort after a fairly hectic few weeks
at work.  But I did want to checkout new 40 and 20M antennas and WX0B
switching relay ... all worked exceptionally well.   Net result was ending a
serious effort 9 hours into the contest.

In retrospect I should have done a serious effort with conditions far
improved over last year.  But, I did get two full nights sleep and am able
to put in a full day at work.

10M   - The number of SA is amazing.  While not "runnable" the LUs, CX, and
PYs are certainly a welcome addition to contesting.  Thanks to the South
Americans who got on.  Our NW openings to JA are also welcome as we were for
the first time actually able to run JA s on 10 again.  Was nice to work
Africa again on 10 as well.  NO EU!!!  At least none workable here.

15  - JA JA JA - our only saving grace.  Only heard first tier EU stations
and many western Europeans (EA, CT).  The African stations were great
multipliers.

20 - Poor EU opening Saturday, great on Sunday although with few exceptions,
loud signals did not equate to great runs.  Only heard one or two NW
stations running EU.

40 - Nice early opening to JA - runable.  Able to actually have EUs QSX.

80 - Huh ... have concluded that if you don't have a beam or four square
your are almost dead on SSB.  Hope someone can convince me otherwise.

160 - Few good mults.

Well, here's to the CW version.  Good Luck to all and 73, Andrew - W7VJ

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com