[3830] K6LA CW Sprint Score & Comments

KWIDELITZ at delphi.com KWIDELITZ at delphi.com
Mon Sep 7 21:28:17 EDT 1998

     Exchanged Information: K6LA nr KEN CA

     band      QSOs     points
      80         52         52
      40        123        123
      20        131        131
     TOTAL      306        306   X   43 multipliers  =  13,158

     Club or Team Name: SCCC

     Comments:

     Murphy had the courtesy to pay a visit last week. Wasn't doing nothing
much, just turned on the station to work some DX, and one of my Alpha87s
went into a fault. Decided to use the other station, and the TS950 in that
station responded with a puff of smoke. When the smoke cleared it was $250
to fix the Alpha87 and, ouch, $950 to fix the TS950, which the tech said
looked like it took a major lighting strike. All I did was push the button
for the automatic antenna tuner. Wow! And not 3 days before I had tried out
the latest version of NA, full power to each station, with not a hint of a
problem. What is more amazing is the Alpha87 is fixed and on the way home
and Kenwood tells me I'll have the 950 back for the Phone sprint next
weekend. Bottom line is that this was a one radio sprint for me.

Had a personal best 90 the first hour. But then the second hour I fell
out of sync. Missed the second radio on the transition from band to
band. However, total score was a personal best for September CW sprint.

The new Sprint Logic in the latest version of NA is terrific. Only got
screwed up with it once.

Learning from tape dept: I got my error log from the Feb. CW sprint and
listened to my errors on tape. My big 2 QSO lost penalty was when a station
came back to K6NA and I thought, OK, he miscopied K6LA and went on to log
the station perfectly in sync with K6NA. This time when a station came back
to K6NA, I listened for a second, and, sure enough, Glen had beaten me out.

Only heard and missed OK. Where were the usually easy AL LA VE4 & VE7?

73. Ken, K6LA - Ken Six Los Angeles, KWIDELITZ at DELPHI.COM
                ex-AB6FO

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com