[3830] N6IJ CW Sprint Score

Tony and Celia Becker becker at sprintmail.com
Mon Sep 7 23:54:36 EDT 1998

                              SPRINT SUMMARY SHEET

     Contest Date : 06-Sep-98
    Callsign Used : N6IJ
         Operator : AE0M
         Category : SOHP
            Power : 500 W
              RIG : FT-990, FL-7000 and 486DX2-66 MHZ running TRLog v 6.29
        Team/Club : Northern California Contest Club #1

  BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults Antennas

  80CW       42          41         41       1  Inverted vee @ '60, Zepp @ 50'
  40CW      102         101        101       5  LP1017 17 el log periodic @
70'
  20CW       82          80         80      31  LP+ 204BA @ 60' fixed east

Totals      226         222        222      37

    Final Score = 8436 points.

QXQ: This was my second serious attempt at a single operator entry
from the former MARS station of Ft. Ord, Marina Amateur Radio Club.
Largely through the efforts of Pat Barthelow, AA6EG, MARCS is now
property of the city of Marina, CA and operated by the city recreation
dept.

I arrived at the station with only 55 min. to go, (serious weekend
festival committments) and got very busy.  This summer Pat has added a
20m 4el monobander fixed east, so I hooked that one up too.  I decided
to leave the monobander pointed east, and set the 40-10m log periodic
northeast.

At 2350Z I was just ready, but ten minutes is not enough time to
mentally prepare for a Sprint.  I started high on 20 and was able to
get answers, but it was tough with all the 20 dB over signals.  G4BUO
and CT1BOH both called me in the first hour so the 204 was working.
However, I never felt loud becaues I kept getting beat out by other
callers, on 40 and especially later on 80m.  500 W and simple wire
antennas are not enough.

Despite advice given by Tree, N6TR, at last months' NCCC club meeting,
I found myself lurking while other, apparently louder, stations got
answers.  I should have been more aggressive in tuning for new ones,
and could probably have bagged another 10-20 Qs.  I was able to catch
a couple mults by CQing 1 KHz up from his previous Q.  Where did
people find those extra five mults?

Good fun anyway.

AE0M, Tony Becker - becker at sprintmail.com - Silicon Valley, USA

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com