[3830] AA5AU '99 NAQP CW SOAB - Rookie Score

Hill, Don dhill at cprk.com
Mon Aug 9 11:42:58 EDT 1999

This was my first ever NAQP CW contest.  And my first CW contest of any
kind in nearly 20 years.

Even though I run 3 radios in the RTTY contests I decided to use a
single radio just to get my feet wet.  I sure wish I had set up a 2nd
radio, I think it would have been a lot more fun.

Yes I did have fun.  But I was greatly disappointed at band conditions
on 10 and 15 that made the contest seem dull at the start.  It's no
fun to stay on 20 meters running stations when you aren't picking up
multipliers.  I didn't have a 160m antenna but did manage 6 Q's using
my 80m wire.  40 & 80 were very good.

I had two goals.  One was to make over 500 QSO's (which I did).  The
other was to beat my last month's NAQP RTTY Score (which I did not).

I only worked one other LA station, so I must have been a rare state,
however, I was disappointed at not being asked more to move to other
bands for others.  The few that did ask me were also new mults for me
as well.  I didn't ask anyone to move because I wasn't that serious
about the contest.  Next year, ASK ME TO MOVE IF YOU NEED ME!

Maybe next year I will try again with 2 radios and a 160m antenna.  Thanks
to all that worked me.  Watch out, there's a new kid on the CW block...

Call Used:  AA5AU
Name Used:  DON
QTH:  LA

Radio:  Kenwood TS870
Power out:  100 watts
Antennas:  Cushcraft A3S w/40m add-on kit at 62 ft. & 80m inverted vee.
Computer:  HP Pavillion 200 mHz Pentium running WriteLog ver. 9.23
CW generator:  PK232MBX

Band	QSO's	Mults
160	6	5
80	94	29