[3830] ARRL 160 AA8U SO High Power

aa8u at modempool.com aa8u at modempool.com
Sun Dec 5 12:24:07 EST 1999

                     ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AA8U
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: AA8U

Class: SO High Power
Operating Time (hrs): 42

Section: MI

Totals:
  1144 QSOs x ( 74 Sections +  16 Countries) =  212,940

Comments:

No, I didn't suddenly become proficient operating contest CW! That was the Ken
Meier (W8MJ) operating from my station this weekend. Ken is an outstanding
operator. I don't think he stepped away from the radio more than for two
minutes all during the contest. A first rate performance as I see it, routine
for Ken.

It seemed like the participation level was down this time according to Ken. My
guess is many folks are saving themselves for next weekend on 10M. Conditions
started off fairly good. Ken had a couple hours of 100+ rate and didn't drop
below 75/hr until the 5th hour. There weren't as many Europeans this time as
usual, maybe due to the high A & K index.

I spent several weeks working with my line crews repairing the power line noise
sources out here with very good results. Ken didn't have any power line related
noise....he did have to put up with percipitation static on the Beverages as we
had a drizzling rain for most of the contest.

Ken noted there were several US stations parked in the 1830-1835 DX window
calling cq and working stateside. This is not new. I wonder why they are not
disqualified by the sponsor. Have any of you ever heard of a station that
violates the DX window being disqualified? I haven't. Every year I hear the
same thing. Some stations, usually on the East Coast, park in the window and
block the view of most of the stations to their West. This is a very
frustrating situation, especially when there is nothing done about it year
after year by the sponsor. It seems the majority of the participants respect
the rules and a few take advantage of this. How can this be good for our hobby?

The VE stations were well represented. Missed AK and NWT this time as well as
VI, SF and EB. Ken worked one station running QRP at less than a half a watt!

It was a real treat to watch Ken work this contest from my station. Most years
he operates from K8CC or elsewhere and I usually come in a distant second to
him. Now I see how he does it. Maybe Ken will come back next year to try it
again. Maybe I will try it myself.....you will definately be able to tell who
is at the controls. hi

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com