[3830] K7ZO RTTY WPX SOABHP (Rookie)

K7ZO k7zo at micron.net
Sun Feb 14 21:22:03 EST 1999

1999 World Wide WPX RTTY

Call used: K7ZO
Location:  ID

Entry Class: Single Op, All Band (ROOKIE)

Band    QSOs   Pts  Mults
80         7    14      -  HF2V
40        51   130      -  Dipole @ 20’
20        78   131      -  Wire LPA fixed EU @ 20’
15       151   230      -  Wire LPA fixed EU @ 20’
10        66   139      -  Wire LPA fixed EU @ 20’
                           Ten-3 @ 15’
-----   ----  ----  ----
Total    353   644   173

Most frequently worked prefix: N9 - 12 QSO's
--------------------------------------

Claimed Score: 111,412

Software: RTTY by WF1B  v4.2 & RITTY 3.05 by K6STI
Hardware: FT-1000MP, VL-1000(Quadra @ 300W)
Power Output: 300W +/- (A real 300W not an Italian 300W!)

Soapbox:
Wow, was that fun or what. The bands Saturday were as good as I
remember them for years. Too bad the did not hold up on Sunday when
everything seemed to be “squashed” as compared to Saturday, the
absorption must have been higher. My highlights:

* What an entry to RTTY contesting. I am definitely in the rookie
class. The 353Q’s I made represent QSO’s # 2-354 that I have ever
made on RTTY. The only other one I have made was with VP9/N1RCT on
his recent trip there. (I did do a little ragchewing with some local
friends to make sure I had the RITTY settings correct.)
* WF1B is a real kick. When I finally got the hang of it was possible
to keep a run going with three mouse clicks: 1). Right click the call
to enter in and send the exchange, left click the serial number, left
click “TU” to QSL and QRZ. Pretty smooth I would say.
* 15M was great for me on Sat with many EU’s calling in to my small
station. I had G, I, EA, HA, PA, DL, UA3, ON, GW, and S5 all give me
a call. I am used to this from my time at NK7U, but from home it was
a thrill.
* The real highlights were having S57AW and RW6AWT call me on Saturday
night on 40M around 3:30UTC. This is with a simple dipole at 20’ and
running 300W. I have never had a European call me on 40M in all my years.
This is really neat.
* Off the top of my head I had one station I contacted on 5 bands, K8AA
and two 4 banders, WS7I and KH7R, I missed both on them 80M.

Thanks for everyone who gave me a call and heard mine. I know I called a
few of you who said I was a dupe. Since I have my computer and rig
interconnected and all the band data in the log should be correct, I
was really surprised. Did anyone else seem to have QSO’s logged with
the wrong band?

This may have been my first RTTYT contest, but it will not be my last.

CUL, Scott/K7ZO

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com