[3830] VE3RZ ARRL CW SOAB HP

Tony Osman aosman at cgocable.net
Mon Feb 22 20:34:00 EST 1999

                 ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: VE3RZ                    Country:  Canada
      Mode: CW                       Category: SOAB HP (200 watts)

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80       10       30   3.0        7
       40      118      345   2.9       50
       20      127      381   3.0       53
       15      175      519   3.0       57
       10      133      396   3.0       54
     --------------------------------------

     Totals    563     1671   3.0      221  =   369,291

All reports sent were 599 ON, unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description:
Tcvr:	IC751A
AMP:	Hbrew 2 x tired 811A -> 200 watts output
Ant:	GAP Challenger vertical
S/W:	CT v9.39  (didn't have cw keying connected)
Keyer: MFJ 482

Comments:

Enjoyed the contest, even though antenna challenged, it was fun.
Conditions were good, all but three qso's came from S&Ping.  Fell
off my chair when after calling CQ for couple of minutes, was called
by TZ6DX!  Also surprised on Sunday afternoon to hear VQ9QM at S9 on
my vertical on 20m.  No problem working him - must have got to him before
the packet spots Hi.  Good to work HZ1HZ after short number of calls on 10m.

Managed to work quite a number of stations on 4 bands, a couple on 5
bands but the GAP is little better than a dummy load on 80m - still it
does give me the all band capability and it's performance on 40m is
quite good.

Lifted the band/country totals by quite a bit.  Always interesting to
hear stations coming through from countries that you never hear outside
of a contest.  Congrats to some of the stations, HC8N, SP7GIQ, G4BUO,
ZF2NT, VP5CW for being the loudest stations here on any band that I
monitored....KH7R for being able to pull my signal out on 80m.

Biggest frustration was hearing stations over S9 that I couldn't get
through to, I can only imagine the pile-ups at the other end!

This was possibly my last contest effort from VE3RZ, it looks very much
like my company is going to transfer me to Sydney, Australia for the next
two years, so look out for a new VK contester!!!

73 de Tony, VE3RZ
(ex J3/VE3RZ, VE3NTW, ZS6BNZ, G3XMX/8R1, G3XMX)

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com