[3830] KQ6QW NAQP SO Phone Claimed Score

Brian Gelinas bgelinas@earthlink.net
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 23:36:45 -0800

CALL USED: KQ6QW       MODE: PHONE    QTH: CA (Imperial Co.)

Band   Valid QSOs  Multipliers
160         0             0
 80         0             0
 40        32            20
 20       115            44
 15       163            49
 10       124            26
        --------     --------
TOTAL     434           139

434   QSOs * 139  Mults  =  60326  Claimed Score

Op time: about 8.5 hrs.
Equipment: TS-440S (100w), Gap Voyager Vertical, WriteLog 9.12C

Soapbox: Working this contest was a treat since it usually conflicts
with the ARRL VHF.
Took a roadtrip to the Salton Sea in SE California to make the most out
of the vertical. For those of you who don't know, the Salton Sea is a
large saltwater lake accidentally created when a Colorado River levy
broke in 1908 (it took 'em 2 years to fix it). The water is 20% saltier
than sea water, and makes a great ground plane.

I felt loud enough to run about 1/3 of the time, which is unusual for my
setup. Had several good runs on 10 and 15. Overall though I'd say 10 was
disappointing; it was pretty selective where it was open to, resulting
in a lower mult count than anticipated. Was happy to work ZF2NT and an
XE station in return for a radio check, but was generally disappointed
that I didn't hear more non-W/VE stations. No success on 20 until 0100
when it cleared out a bit, then I was able to run for a solid hour until
it closed. 40 was real noisy with QSB until about 0230; by 0300 it
either closed or was abandoned, and left me without anyone to talk to
except a few JAs on 15.

I tried loading up another vertical I'd brought along on 75, but the SWR
was >5 and my will to do massive troubleshooting was fading. I could
have gone back up to 15 to beg the JAs for contacts, but decided to pack
up the station and my dignity 1-1/2 hours early, having exceeded my Q
goal (400) and just about meeting my mult goal (140). Next time I will
prepare better and have something, anything, on 75. I figure that's
where everyone was after 0300.

Overall, IMHO, a great contest, great participation, and high-class
operators.