[3830] NAQP SSB de K4IQ

John Mitchell jbmitch@vt.edu
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:12:23 -0500

K4IQ John VA

Team: Southwest VA Contest Conspiracy (all-PVRC)

160  85 X 30
75  186 X 36
40  133 X 40
20  114 X 40
15   55 X 22
10   13 X  7

ttl: 586 X 175 for 102,550

EQPT:  TS-870, NA, 160M Inv Vee @ 100', 75M Dipole w/reflector @50', 40M
Dipole @ 52', 20M 3el @ 48', 15M 3 el fixed W. @ 30', 10M loaded 80M dipole.

SOAP:
"Spent the morning trying to get 15M beam working again, to no avail.
Replaced both end connectors, but still had 3:1 SWR.  Not much luck using
it, and no 10M antenna, so loaded 80M dipole, which also wasn't exactly
great guns.  Learned some lessons, like - taking off the first two hours next
time I have this situation.  Low bands were much better, and it hurt to have
to take off during prime run time.
On a cheerful note, watched the rate climb to 300-plus for about 5 minutes
on 75 (after W2GG spotted me, I found out later by looking back at DX
Summit- THANX!).  What a rush!  Top band wasn't in very good shape to points
west of the Mississippi. This is a really fun contest, my second try at it,
and will definitely come back for more.  Love the 10/12 hour, all-band
format."