[3830] K4XU/7 soab lp unassisted

Dick Frey DickF at AdvancedPower.com
Mon Mar 8 10:07:57 EST 1999

This was not a serious effort. I went skiing all day
Saturday (we have 235" of snow ten miles up the road) and my
amp is down for repairs.  I started seven hours late just
"listening around".  I have not done a DX contest without an
amp in 30 years.  After a few hours, I was surprised at the
ability of my very modest station to get out.  In
retrospect, it is a testament to the skill and hunger of the
ops at the other end.  Thanks to all those guys who took the
effort to dig me out.

There are a lot of poorly set up stations out there.  Is it
ignorance, lack of pride, or malice?  These voice boxes,
DVKs, and other F1 devices seldom sound anything like the
guy who gives the report and many are so badly over
processed they do more harm than good.  How many stations
take the trouble to listen to what they spew out on the
air?  We all might have a better time -- and have a better
image -- if we promoted that concept in our contesting
culture.

73, Dick

   ARRL DX SSB SUMMARY SHEET

    Callsign Used : K4XU/7        QTH : Bend, Oregon

         Category : SO LP AB unassisted

 Default Exchange : 599 OR

   BAND       QSOs   Countries
 _________________________________
                                     Antennas:
  160SSB        8          5       inverted L @ 69’
   80SSB       22         15       inverted V @ 70’
   40SSB       50         25       Dipole @ 40’, vertical
   20SSB      104         57       TH6 @ 75’  TA33 fixed SE
@ 32’
   15SSB      250         74       "
   10SSB      108         41       "

 Totals       542        217       18 hours op time, 95% S&P

 Final Score = 352,842 points.

k4xu at contesting.com

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com