[3830] ARRLDX CW K1IR SOAB Ast

k1ir at designet.com k1ir at designet.com
Tue Feb 22 09:08:42 EST 2000

                     ARRL DX Contest - CW

Call: K1IR
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SOAB Ast
QTH: MA

  160:     21     20
   80:    303     63
   40:    592     83
   20:    540     86
   15:    703     89
   10:    881     98
----------------------
Total:   3040    439  =  3.989

Comments:

I am very pleased that I hit my targets almost on the nose: 3k QSOs and 4M
points. Congrats to KI1G, K3WW and as yet unnannounced others for showing me
that I set those goals way too low!

Low points:
1.   Making some bad band change decisions on Saturday
2.   A frequency fight
3.   Realizing that I still need antenna improvements on the high bands
4.   Borrowing an extra FT1000MP, but not enough time and hardware to set it up
for real second radio operation
5.   Finding out I missed a wonderful JA run on 10M after failing to create one
on 15M

High points:
1.   A successful tower project only 3 hours before the contest started
2.   Being in the chair 30 min before the start to get a good freq and run
going
3.   ZERO technical failures through the entire contest
4.   Peacefully coexisting with K3SA at 125/hr on virtually the same 10M freq
5.   Moving VK6HD to 80M at exactly the right time
6.   Running without difficulties on 80M
7.   Occassionally beating the multis in a big pile
8.   Making mostly good band change decisions on Sunday

Equipment: FT1000MP, ACOM 2000A
Software: WriteLog
Antennas:
RX:         Beverages on EU
80M:        3-el wire Yagi at 60 feet [NE/SW], Sloper [SE]
40M:        2-el delta loop [NE/SW], 2-el wire vert [NE/SW]
20/15/10M:  CushCraft ATB-34 at 80ft.
20M:        4-el at 30ft. [fixed on EU]
15M:        4-el at 55ft. [fixed on EU]
10M:        3-el at 40ft. [fixed on EU]