[3830] ARRLDX SSB K4ZW SOABHP

k4zw at staffnet.com k4zw at staffnet.com
Mon Mar 6 14:35:06 EST 2000

                     ARRL DX Contest - SSB

Call: K4ZW
Operator(s): K4ZW
Station: K4ZW

Class: SOAB  Power: HP
QTH: VA

  160:      8      8
   80:     85     39
   40:    142     61
   10:   1173     98
----------------------
Total:   3709    417  =  4,633,704

Club: PVRC

Comments:

  Great conditions.  The activity to JA and the rest of Asia/Pacific was
terrific.  Saturday around 08Z while running EU on 20, I turned the top antenna
in the stack to JA and the flood gates opened.  The last hour of the contest I
spent on 15 junning JA's etc.  I was called by JT1CS at 23:58 and by an HS0 at
23:59:30.  (for the rule hawks, my station clocks are calibrated to WWV on
Friday and the exchange was completed before rollover to 24:00)  Seems like
power line noise was the in thing this year.  It was pretty windy on Thursday
and apparently it was enough to loosen up a few connections in the
neighborhood.  It was especially bad on 10 meters beaming west.  I also
developed a problem with the rotator on the 10 and 15 meter yagis Saturday
afternoon.  What initially looked to be a fatal problem, luckly turned out to
be something that was managable.  God does answer prayers during a contest!  I
initially thought it was a rotator problem weeks ago but after the same exact
problem has cropped up 3 different times on two seperate units, it looks to be
something mechanical on the tower.  Thankfully, I was able to limp along from
Saturday afternoon until the finish.
     Additional improvements to the station will be forthcoming over the summer
and into the fall season.  Most of it will be inside.  First on the list is
replacement of my trusty 940 with something a little more modern.  This
actually will come about with the completion of my setup for a second radio.
I've been working on this piece by piece so up until that's completed, I'm a
one radio contester.  There's no doubt the second radio will open up a whole
new world not to mention a change in the opeating strategy I current employ.

73 Ken K4ZW

K4ZW        3709  417 4,633,704SOAB    HP

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com