[3830] ARRL160 AA4LR SO LP

aa4lr at arrl.net aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Dec 11 09:41:50 EST 2001

                     ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SO LP
QTH: GA

Total:     202     39        1      =  16,280

Club/Team: SECC

Comments:

Antennas:
Temporary Inverted-L with 2 elevated radials
125' doublet at 35'

Equipment:
Kenwood TS-430S running 100 watts, AT-250
Homebrew CMOS CW Keyer -- 22 years old

Comments:

What fun!

I had never operated the ARRL 160m contest before. Gary, K9AY had given me a
goal of 300 Qs, 35 mults and a score of 21,000 points. I thought the number of
Qs was a bit optimistic, but thought I would give it a go.

My operating  time was somewhat limited, as I had many holiday obligations
during the day, so I couldn't afford to operate all night. But I put in at
least three hours each evening, and 20 minutes around sunrise each night.

I disconnected my R7000 and used the coax run to put up the Inverted-L. As it
was, this antenna wasn't terribly effective, and I ended up using the doublet
most of the time, even though it was cut for 80m.

First night ended with 94 Qs and 31 mults. Looks like I was on track to make my
goal mults, but not Qs. The Inverted-L hadn't been very effective, and I mostly
use the doublet. The Inverted-L had been sufficient to work my only DX (ZF2AH),
which is the first 160m DX I'd worked from my home station.

First night was nearly all S & P. Getting responses was tricky. I decided many
hams must be using really narrow filters, as I would shift my TX frequency
around a bit each time someone CQed in my face. That worked, and I had to tune
away from very few stations.

I tried calling CQ in several spots, but only got one answer in many minutes of
calling. W4AN had advised me to call CQ, and I was getting ready to tell him it
just didn't work with low power and crummy antennas.

Imagine my surprise the next day. I had gone into the back yard to put our
newly-cut Christmas tree into a bucket of watter. Looking up, I saw the 125'
doublet was half laying on the ground. I had spliced back 10' of wire on each
end of the doublet from a previous (failed) experiment. One of my splices had
broken, and the antenna was very low, with a fair amount on the ground.

This meant I had to squeeze a tower climb into a busy Saturday, before the sun
went down. It was actually a nice day for tower work, and I spent a minute or
two watching the sunset from 40 feet.

The second night went better, although I couldn't operate quite as long as the
first. But, after an hour, I started to call CQ in a clear spot just above 1876
kHz. I stayed there for the nearly 2 hours. The rate wasn't great -- about
30/hour,  but it was better than I could do S & P, so I kept at it.

I CQed so much, the cooling fan on the TS-430 came on solid. I've never worked
the rig so hard. My fingers began to hurt from slapping the paddles, but I was
having too much fun with the run to stop. Eventually, it worked out and I had
to QRT shortly after.

As for sections, I managed to work all of 3-land,  9-land and 8-land (I thought
I'd never find a WV). All of 4-land but PR, VI, WCF and SFL, All of 1-land but
VT and EMA (go figure), all of 2-land but NNY and NLI, and a smattering of 5's
and 0's. Oh, and the Golden Ears award goes to N6IG, who heard my pipsqueak
signal all the way in California.

That was fun! Let's do it again next year.

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com