[3830] IARU KL9A SO CW

kl9a at qsl.net kl9a at qsl.net
Sun Jul 15 16:34:35 EDT 2001

                     IARU HF Championship

Call: KL9A
Operator(s): KL9A
Station: KL9A

Class: SO CW  Power: HP
QTH: AK
Operating Time (hrs): 21:30

   40:     146                25
   20:     732                64
   15:     423                52
   10:
-----------------------------------
Total:    1301        0      141  =  771,693

Club: WWYC

Comments:

I was looking for a pretty big score this time after the first 3 hours.  But
conditions were horrible up here, with 3 hours under 30 q's (with a 15 hour
when I took a 39 minute break for a shower and food), and 12 hours 60 q's or
below.  The 80m antenna isn't up so I missed a lot of mults and q's there I'm
sure.  This was the first time I tried SO2R, and it was very nice.  It was 40m
only with an Alinco DX70TH and FL2100B into a 2.5el wire yagi (half the
director fell).  W4AN takes the award for being the loudest signal from the
eastern US on 40...and still 2 hours to sunset even.
Things were painfully slow and stateside prop was almost non existent most of
the day.  All I was working was the guys in EU with big yagis and KW's.  Then
about 0300z things picked up and stayed great until about 0900z when I had to
start milking the bands for JA's.  I decided to quit right after my head
slammed into the keyboard when I fell asleep CQing at about 1010z.

Never heard a thing on 10m that was workable.  But I heard OM1HQ and P3A for
several hours at the start, which is pretty remarkable considering the time of
year.  Too bad conditions weren't good (or even marginal) during the day, it
would have been a lot more fun. I just wish OH9W would have picked someone
else's freq to try and steal every 10 minutes.

Thanks for the q's, and I hope everyone got the zone 1 mult at least once!  :)
-Chris KL9A
kl9a at qsl.net
http://www.qsl.net/kl9a

Rig/Station 1: TS570DG, TH7, Heathkit Warrior
Rig/Station 2: DX70TH, 2.5el wire yagi, FL2100B

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com