[3830] IOTA M6T(G4PIQ) SO24 Phone

g4piq at btinternet.com g4piq at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 30 09:09:23 EDT 2001

                     IOTA Contest

Call: M6T
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G4MRS

Class: SO24 Phone  Power: HP
QTH: JO02PB

 Band     QSOs     Mults    QSOs    Mults
   80:                       117       44
   40:                       274       67
   20:                       863      101
   15:                       707       98
   10:                       389       56
Total:                      2350      366  =  5,077,152

Club: Martlesham DX & CG

Comments:

Rig  : 2 x FT1000MP + PAs
Ants : 80m - Delta Loop @ 24m
       40m - 402CD @ 24m
       HF  - TH5 @ 24m (run) + A3 @ 26m (2nd radio)

Comments
DX Conditions didn't seem too hot for this - only worked 50 JAs or so on 15
and most were hovering around the horrible noise floor at this end. However
- sporadic E conditions were excellent and there was lots of opportunity to
work heaps of European stuff on the high bands. To give a view of the
intensity of the ionisation, at one point on Sunday morning, M5ZAP/P on
EU120 (I guess the Isle of Wight so 200km or so away) offered to go and
work me from his mobile station on 10 & 20m and he was S9+ on 20!

Activity seemed excellent with heaps of multipliers on the table. At the
start of the contest I was really struggling with 2 radios, working mults
and moving people quickly, not helped by the fact that I'd over configured
TR to be too clever so I was ending up with the two radios sending stuff
from the DVP that I really wasn't wanting. Took me till about the middle of
the contest to delete remove the appropriate DVP files to stop that
happening, but in the interim there was much frantic escape key pressing
going on! It's amazing how quickly you loose the practice with 2 radios,
and it was only the ARRL contests back in Feb / March where I was last
using the stuff. It always seems hard to use the 2nd radio at the start of
the contest, but after a few hours (quite a few in this case) the brain
unfreezes and can cope better with two different things in two ears.

Had 4 targets at the start of the event and I made two of them. Targetted
2500 QSOs, (missed), 350 mults (hit), 500 second radio QSOs (missed - did
290), and better than previous best score (hit - was 4.2M).

Overall - great fun - and lots of opportunity to do better - got nowhere
near to running out of easy mults to find.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs and especially to those who moved.

Andy

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com