[3830] WPX SSB NV4X(K4MA) SOAB HP

k4ma at mindspring.com k4ma at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 27 23:05:24 EST 2001

                     CQWW WPX - SSB

Call: NV4X
Operator(s): K4MA
Station: AA4NC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NC

  160:
   80:     90
   40:     40
   10:     55
-------------------------------
Total:    820 x    445  =  1,001,695

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I quit at 1415Z on Saturday!

I had developed a cold / sinus infection earlier in the week.
Going in I was worried about my voice since it was getting
worse and worse.  I started out OK and went until 0555Z before
my first break.  At that time I was ahead of last year's pace by
a good margin.  I got back on at 1055Z, but I knew it wasn't going
to be good since I woke up hacking.  As the next couple of hours
past, my voice kept getting worse and worse.  Near the point that
I quit, it was starting to hurt when I talked, and worst of all, at
least every other station was asking for a repeat of my number.

It was the first time that I had ever quit in the middle of a contest,
and I didn't like it, but it even more so turned out to be the right
decision since I was even more sick on Saturday night with a fever.
I went to bed about 8:30 PM local and slept until after 8 AM local.

Thanks to Will for the limited use of the station.  Unusual conditions
even in the limited time that I operated.  I continue to be amazed by
the DX that calls in during this test (which make it one of my favorite
tests).  On Friday night, I had the following juicy DX call in on 20M:

JY5HX
TF3IRA
JW0HR
EX8W