[3830] ARRL SS SSB KG0UT Multi-Op

Barbara Rich kg0us at swbell.net
Wed Nov 28 00:04:06 EST 2001

                     ARRL Sweepstakes, SSB

Call: KG0UT
Operator(s): KG0UT, KB0VVT, KG0US
Station: KG0UT

Class: Multi-Op
QTH: MO

   10:     93
-------------------------------
Total:   1197 x     80  =  191,520

Club: RAYTOWN MISSOURI ARC

Comments:

LOW POWER MULTI-OP STATION

ICOM 775 DSP
KENWOOD TS-850S

2 Dunestar Model 600 bandpass filters

40 foot Universal Tower with KLM KT34A tri-band beam.
Alpha Delta DX-A twin sloper mounted on the tower.
Cushcraft R7 Vertical.

My wife Barbara KG0UT and our13 year old daughter Rebecca KB0VVT, and I decided
to put in a full family effort in the ARRL Sweepstakes Phone contest this year.
 The girls did a very fine job and we once again were able to get the sweep.
For the most part this contest was very enjoyable and we had a lot of fun.

Of course, there was the "stupid woman" comment that my daughter received as
well as a couple of guys harassing her about not having a number in her call.
That is interesting since the 1000+ other QSOs did not mention that there was a
problem.  And then there were the guys that decided to key up on our frequency
for extended periods of time.  I think the Auto notch filter is the best kept
secret of all the gee whiz DSP feature available today.  I know that the auto
notch would be better in the IF stage, but when you have that baby "on" you can
hear stations through the offending carrier.  I love it!

Our friend Steve K0OU, lives only a couple of blocks away and normally runs
High Power during contests.  You can imagine the QRM our stations give to each
other.  We tried our best to tip toe around Steve as much as possible but
occasionally we would invariably run into each other when we both were after a
much needed multiplier.  Steve and I both use IC775DSP transceivers and I think
we receive each others transmitted phase noise along with normal QRM.  This
appears to be especially true when on the same band.  I got a first hand lesson
from Steve when I attempted to operate several KHz down the 80 meter band from
him Saturday evening.  All I could hear was a S9 plus white noise SHHHHHHH when
ever he transmitted.

There are some that want the rule to be changed to make the contest shorter.  I
would prefer to keep the contest just as it is now.  It would be nice if there
was a Multi-Single Low Power category.  Some of the big guns were wanting to
make the contest about 6 hours shorter in duration.  How about this idea?  Make
all the High Power Categories shorter but keep the Low Power and QRP categories
as they are now and add a Multi-Single Low Power Category.

Best Regards,

Dave, KG0US

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com