[3830] ARRL 160 VE3KZ Single Op HP

ve3kz at rac.ca ve3kz at rac.ca
Sun Dec 8 13:23:38 EST 2002

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE3KZ
Operator(s): VE3KZ
Station: VE3KZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Milton, ON

Total:  QSOs = 666  Sections = 71  Countries = 6  Total Score = 103,257

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Equipment:TS-950SDX + AL1200X 1kW to Inverted Vee Dipole, apex, 65' running
E-W.

Comments: Part way through Friday evening I realized that only exceptional
signals were showing on the s-meter and the beverages were hearing nothing. The
front end of the receiver was in trouble! My apologies to those who called but
couldn't get through. I understand that the band was quiet but this was
ridiculous! Luckily there were enough strong signals to yield 200 QSO's in the
first two hours, including K6SE at 23:16. It had to have been broad day-light
out there!

FWIW here is a breakdown by Call Areas:
W4	102 	including NP2MJ
W0	89
W8	71
W9	70
W1	67
W3	62
W2	54
W5	52
W7	32
VE	31	including 21 VE3's
W6	21	including 3 Hawaii
Other DX - FM S5 VK HI ZF P4
Heard but not worked - BC LAX G GW GM DL SP EA6 ZD8 and other DX
Sections not heard at all - AB AK ND PR SF NWT and NNY-easier on 6m!

I heard a number of Europeans briefly as they surfed the receiver internal noise
level but only worked S58A. Almost all were heard answering others' CQ's. Time
to get out the tools and manual and get things working properly for the next
160m activity.

73 Bob VE3KZ
ve3kz at rac.ca