[3830] ARRL 160 N1EU Single Op HP

n1eu at yahoo.com n1eu at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 8 13:28:42 EST 2002

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N1EU
Operator(s): N1EU
Station: N1EU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Delmar, NY (Albany)

Total:  QSOs = 1115  Sections = 75  Countries = 37  Total Score = 279,664

First night condx weren’t that great.  From my QTH, noisy listening in NE/SW/SE
directions with NW quiet.  Signals received from all directions seemed weak.
Notable exceptions I remember were W7RM, ZD8R, I2BBJ and HB9CIP.  Most of the
west coast signals were way down, and KH6 was as well.  The band opened
suddenly, but marginally, to Europe at 0530Z.  However, I don’t think I’ve ever
worked harder to pull signals out of the noise as during that 90 minute
“opening.”  Apologies to those calling that I couldn’t manage, but not from my
lack of effort.

Thanks to the 4U1ITU op who pulled me out for a new one after what seemed like
50 attempts.  Evidently, the Europeans had difficulty hearing everyone calling
as well.

I was happy to hear NP2MJ back on the air with a respectable signal despite
Herb’s reported last-minute makeshift station arrangements.

The 2nd night I adjusted the MP to use the lower gain preamp which seemed to
improve the barrage of noise reaching my ears.  I don’t think the band was
really any quieter and QSB seemed deeper than the first night.  Condx  improved
a bit to Europe, with a few early callers, but the sunrise opening was much
smaller than hoped-for and again required really intensive effort at times to
pull ‘em out.  Unfortunately, many callers were again lost in the noise, as in
the first night.  I remember RN6BN and GW3JXN as having notably strong signals
however.  West coast signals were also way down in strength, but at least the
noise level on the NW Beverage here was quite low.

sections missed: SF, PR, AK, AB, YT

I enjoy ARRL160, Stew Perry, and CQWW160 and appreciate each of the different
formats.

Thanks to all the callers & especially those obliging my many “agn” requests.
Between noise, QSB and switching Beverage directions, I often felt slow at the
uptake.  Apologies again to those I couldn’t pull out of the noise.

BTW, I was using an inverted L on transmit and 580ft Beverages in 4
directions.

73,
Barry N1EU