[3830] TBDC ON4UN Single Op HP

john.devoldere at pandora.be john.devoldere at pandora.be
Sun Dec 29 09:06:27 EST 2002

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: ON4UN
Operator(s): ON4UN
Station: ON4UN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ghent

Total:  QSOs = 371  Total Score = 1

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Terrible conditions to the East to start with. Just 1 JA, no VK6HD, but JT1CO
was welcome. USA was weak, all night long. Strongest signals from US were from
W9UCW and K9DX, but there was a lot of QSB. 90 % of the US stations worked were
marginal copy. But I guess that's when competition is toughest and when we best
see who has the best overall station (-receiving set-up). I think I hear pretty
well with phased Beverages, hi... They reduce noise and crud from the back by at
least 30 dB. I had worked 76 North America stations (K0HA further West) when 45
minutes before my sunrise my home made amp developed a serious problem (a
decoupling cap in the HV compartment exploded with a big bang which exploded the
surge resistors -that's what they are for-). That was the end of the contest.
The problem is already fixed... See you all in the CQ-WW 160 contests (hope this
time CQ receives both my logs. This year my SSB log never arrived. It would have
been a #1 world-wide. Too bad)
Happy new year to all, 73, John ON4UN