[3830] RAC Winter N5DO SOAB HP

cockrum at brooksdata.net cockrum at brooksdata.net
Sun Dec 29 15:39:07 EST 2002

                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Tx

  160:    3              1
   80:   42     12       6         3
   40:  110      6       9         4
   20:  119    189       9        10
   15:  101    188       7         9
   10:  104    186       9        10
Total:  479    581      41        36  Total Score = 555,170

My first RAC Winter Contest in several years.  I had operated in the Stew Perry
the last few years, but with a new high band antenna I decided to try this
contest again.  It proved to be great fun and I'm looking forward to next year.

Saturday morning I decided that N6RO would be the person to beat for high score
in the U.S.  I knew he had won that honor before, and I didn't hear N0AC
anywhere.  At 1542Z I worked N6RO and I was 7 QSOs ahead of his number.  An hour
or so later I heard him and he had about 20 QSOs more than I did.  At 1806Z I
worked him again and I was back ahead again, by 25 QSOs.  At 2346Z, with the
contest almost over, I worked him for a last time and he had shot out to a 108
QSO lead.  Looking at his comments I see that he worked 117 Q's in the 20Z hour,
while I had only 67.  From then on he pulled steadily away.  Of course, after
the contest I see that he also had 12 more multipliers than me, so even if I had
the same number of contacts he would have topped my score.  Great job!  And
chipping away at me was N4IX.  Every time I worked him his number just kept
getting closer and closer to mine; I'm afraid if the contest had lasted another
few hours he would have passed me.

K5ZD pointed out in one of his posts that we all should do an after action
report for our own use after each contest.  Then we can reread them prior to the
next year's event and remind ourselves of how we can do better.  I have started
doing that, but I had not been doing that the last time I was in the RAC Winter
Contest.  Consequently I forgot something I had learned previously --to get any
multipliers on 40 SSB it is necessary to move people from 40 CW to 40 SSB.  I
forgot about that until it was too late.

Wonderful contest, with a large number of Canadians operating in this one.
Thanks!