[3830] CQWW CW VP9I(K1XM) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 2 10:59:12 EST 2003

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VP9I
Operator(s): K1XM
Station: VP9GE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda

  160:  141     6       15
   80:  501    13       49
   40:  955    24       74
   20: 1093    29       88
   15:  973    24       82
   10: 1217    23       78

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station 1

Radio: Elecraft K2/100, KAT-100
Ants:  CL-33/TA-33, G5RV, both at about 20'

Station 2 (receive only)

Radio: FT-857
Ant:  broadband folded dipole

THANK YOU TEN METERS!

I arrived Wednesday and set up one station using
the G5RV.  Thursday Ed and I installed the rotor for
the beam and replaced the coax.  Friday morning we
fixed a small problem with the rotor and I was ready
to go.

The second station was set up for receive-only, and
I had no experience using it.  I found I could not do
anything when my run rate was over about 100/hr, and
when I could not sustain that rate I switched bands or
tuned for multipliers.  So about the only thing I used
the second station for was to listen for when ten meters
opened.

As everyone else has commented, conditions were great.
Thursday night I worked Russia on 160, but I didn't
work any Europe during the contest on 160.  However
the rest of the bands more than made up for it.

I wasn't feeing well, having just about gotten over a
cold I picked up in Tanzania, and my head felt just
a little plugged up.  I couldn't tell an "H" from an
"S" or a "B" from a "D".  N6AA is going to have lots
of fun with my log.  I also slept for a while around
0700 and 1900 the first day.  That wasn't planned but
was necesary.

I wan't able to get prime frequencies much of the time.
This was especially true on 40.  So packet was good to
me, sending a pile-up every now and then.

I find that my rate goes down if I operate split.  I
only had to go split once during the contest, briefly
during a European run.

The "lack of sleep" hallucinations weren't too bad this
time.  For a while one night I thought the station was
facing a different wall of the room.  I saw my shoes
on the floor and thought there was a cat there.  And
the operating desk seemed to be rocking back and forth
as if it were on a boat.  And then there was R0PA, who
turns out to be not a hallucination.

There is a station in 2-land who seems to believe that
it is proper to call continuously no matter who I come
back to.  Actually, this year there were two of them.
They both belong to a fine contest club, but somehow
their education seems to have slipped through the cracks.
So let me explain it:

If I come back to KC1XX, (which I did) and you are not
KC1XX (which you are not) then you should not transmit.
If you did not hear me come back to KC1XX (which I did
several times) because you were transmitting while I was
(which you also did several times) it means you are not
listening between calls for long enough to find out what
is going on.

By doing this, you slow down my rate, and I work fewer
people.  And if I'm going to work fewer people, the people
I'm not going to work is you.  Got it?

This is the highest SOABLP score I've managed so far, and
is a record for VP9 and zone 5.

No question, this is "the contest".  And I don't need a
t-shirt to tell me that.