[3830] RTTY Roundup N4GN Single Op LP

n4gn@n4gn.com n4gn@n4gn.com
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 17:55:30 -0800

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: N4GN
Operator(s): N4GN
Station: N4GN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: KY

Total:  18  State/Prov = 14  Countries = 1  Total Score = 270

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

I really wanted to get on for at least a few hours in this one, but it wasn't
meant to be.  Finally got the chance to head down to the shack at about 2215Z
(less than 2 hours to go in the contest).  I still hadn't made up a cable to
interface my terminal unit to the new radio, so I started working on that.

I gathered all the connectors, tools and the owner's manual for the radio.
Discovered the 25-Watt iron seems to be dead.  Darn!  The next best thing I had
available was a 400-Watt gun with a "point" about as big as my finger.  Feeling
especially manly, I decided to give it a shot!  If you've never soldered a DIN
plug with a 400-Watt gun, I don't really recommend that you try it!

Amazingly, the cable actually came together quite nicely, and everything worked
as soon as I plugged it in!  I just couldn't believe it.  By then, the clock
said 2343Z, so I dialed up 14075 and started S&Ping up the band.  I didn't even
take time to plug in the amp and turn it on.  Managed 18 QSOs before the closing
bell.  At least now I'm ready for future RTTY contests!

Here are the lucky folks who made the N4GN log:  VE1OP, VP5NN, W0DC, W7WW, K5AM,
W7ZR, K4RO, KI1G, N4BP, VY2SS, W1ECT, N0KV, W6FFH, K0JJ, VE3GSI, KB6WKT, AD6WL,
N5LYG.