[3830] ARRL Jan VHF VA3KA Single Op LP

va3ka@rac.ca va3ka@rac.ca
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:25:02 -0800

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: VA3KA
Operator(s): VA3KA
Station: VA3KA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs):

  222:   13     7
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  149    68  Total Score = 12,852

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Well this weekend started out in a bad way as I came down with a bad cold
which
really knocked the wind out of me. I had to take many breaks including some
afternoon naps! Nearly all S&P this weekend as my voice was not ok for calling
CQ much.

Increased my QSO total by 50% from last year and my score by 120%! Worked more
grids and was surprised at how many 4 band QSO's I had (12 total).

If it was not for the short opening on 6M things would have been much
different
It was nice to pick up two new NS grids when the band opened to
VE1!

I thought conditions were pretty flat again. Even the big stations were not
overly loud on Saturday. There were some loud signals Sunday night though.
K3EAR in FM19 was S9 on 220 and S9+10 on 432! Big signal from a long way.

Disappointed that I did not get FN03 also (or much activity at all from
Southern Ontario).

This year I kept a 2M radio on FM monitoring the entire contest and picked up
few local FM contacts!