[3830] ARRL Jan VHF VE2ZP Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jan 25 19:24:33 EST 2003

Total:  129    48  Total Score = 8,544

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Equipment Description:

50: FT-736R + amp 150w, 3el yagi
144: FT-736R + amp 170w, 14el yagi
222: FT-736R + amp 100w, 12el quagi
432: FT-736R + amp 100w, 11el yagi
1296: KLM Multi-2000 if rig, MMT1296 transverter 1.3w, dual rhomboid
All antennas 20-25ft agl

Club Affiliation: Contest Club Ontario (CCO)

With the exception of a brief 6m Es opening to W4 and W5, I found conditions
poor.  Stations that are normally quite reliably strong were generally
weak.  New England stations were either fewer in number, inaudible due to
conditions, or, my perennial complaint, not turning their beams this way.
VHF contest activity in the Ottawa area is definitely on the rise.

The highlight for me was working three stations on 1296, one of which was
W2FU, 267km away!  That's my best DX so far, beating my previous best on
23cm by 257km!

This is a personal best score in the January VHF contest, but well below
my score in September 2002.  I happily salute victorious local friend and
competitor Ken VA3KA, whose score this time is 50% higher than mine.

My 902MHz and 2304MHz gear should be working by June 2003.